2016 MPA Forum programme
The Forum programme is built around the four strategic objectives of the Mediterranean MPA Roadmap:
Objective 1: Establish an ecological network of MPAs which is representative and connected.
Objective 2: Achieve an effective, efficient and sustainable management and a good governance in Mediterranean MPAs.
Objective 3: Develop a territorially and sectorially integrated governance of Mediterranean MPAs while promoting the sharing of environmental and socio-economic benefits.
Objective 4: Increase the allocation of financial resources to establish and maintain an ecological network of effectively managed MPAs.
The cross-cutting issue of climate change will be weaved into these four major Forum themes. The Forum programme highlights the most relevant actions implemented on Mediterranean MPAs since 2012 at the regional, national, local levels as well as experiences carried out in other regional seas. Moreover, innovative ideas and solutions brought by different actors will be promoted. The case studies, experiences, ideas and innovative solutions that will be promoted and shared in Tangier are currently being selected by the Forum Steering Committee.
The programme combines several complementary session formats that favor exchange and together contribute to the constructive dialogue and the expected concrete recommendations of this forum:
• Plenary sessions: these sessions aim at sharing critical information and key issues with all Forum participants. In particular, the purpose of plenary sessions will be to report the conclusions and recommendations that came out of the Roadmap evaluation and Forum workshops to be considered in the Tangier Declaration. Plenaries will consider updates of the Roadmap regarding new international framework and new challenges (in particular climate change).
• Workshops: these multi-stakeholders round tables have the objective to open a constructive exchange of information and views on the 4 strategic objectives of the Roadmap to provide concrete recommendations. Workshop dicussions will be based on specific case studies identified through the Roadmap evaluation.
• Focus sessions : still in line with the objectives of the Roadmap, focus sessions offer a spotlight on initiatives addressing priority issues. The presentations followed by a discussion are also intended to complement the recommendations from the workshops.
• Special sessions: three sessions highlight conservation and sustainable development challenges at the local level (MPAs in Morocco), share experience of Regional Seas and MPA networks to achieve Aichi Target 11 and focus on climate change as a critical global challenge for MPAs.
• Side events : on the margin of the Forum’s main objective and topics, side events are participative sessions to share specific experience, new ideas / solutions and increase opportunities for dialogue among participants.
• Stands and informal exchanges: a dedicated space hosting of Forum partner organisations stands and short informal sessions.
• Field visit : A visit to the «Site d’Intérêt Biologique et Ecologique (SIBE)» of Jbel Moussa is scheduled for 28 November. This site, of remarkable biodiversity, should become a Marine Protected Area in the near future. We will also take advantage of this trip to visit the Tanger Med harbour, a deep-water port facility. These two visits will give us an overview of the challenges related to the development of this territory and the conservation of its biodiversity. Please remember to take your passport with you for the duration of this visit, it may be requested. The weather being uncertain, please bring good shoes and a rain jacket! If it rains too heavily, an alternative programme will be proposed.